For those of you who don’t already know, I’m a big-time Star Trek fan. I’m especially interested in the original series, and some of my favorite content comes from an old role-playing game from a company called FASA in the 1980’s. The game had an extensive timeline of events, and I’ve always wanted an easier way to read through it. Since I grew up to be a web developer, the obvious choice is to build an app!
If you have more than one data source for your AngularJS app, then you’ll need them all completed before the thing runs. Although this is a common problem, solutions can be hard to find on the Unhelpful Interwebs. But don’t worry, I promise we can solve it.
AngularJS seems to be everywhere, so I decided to learn it even though 2.0 is going to come around and change everything down the road. To get started, I decided to try something new. I bought a membership at Code School.
I’ve been playing around with Ye Olde Canvas again. This time I wanted to use several techniques in one animation, including the Page Visibility API, and combine those with some behaviors outside of the canvas itself. I also wanted to put an Easter egg into my site. Because Spider-Man.
Recently I spent a rather large amount of time working on a silly star map that no one is likely to ever look at until after I’m famous and long dead, when it will be uncovered by digital archaeologists and mistaken for primitive astronomy. I have a point, I swear. Just give me a moment to process my thoughts.
If you remember the Star Trek Role-playing Game from FASA, then you’ll remember how good the writing was. The game developers had everything figured out, right down to the coordinates for different planets and the actual speeds of the various warp factors. I’ve made a cute little utility to work out the time it takes to go from here to there at a given speed.
I thought I would be fancy and try to stick some HTML5 video into a FlexSlider carousel without using any fancy video scripts. It mostly worked, but of course there are issues. And yes, I eventually used a fancy 3rd party script.
I’ve been wanting to make some little something with CreateJS for a while now, but I was always studying things that related to my day-job. Now that the contract is over and I’m looking for a new position, I had a little time to try a little coding exercise. I created a sub-class for the framework’s Shape() class, and I’ve played around with the animation a bit. The results are actually very promising. Have a look at the source code for some details on how it works.
A while back I built a silly little performance-testing animation that I called “Bouncer”. It’s nice, but I noticed recently that it was missing a vital component: an indication of the frame rate. I added one this morning, and I thought I would share the code with you.
Lots of folks get steamed over Wordpress captions, because they’re designed to be ten pixels wider than the photo they’re placed under. There’s actually a good reason for the extra space, but for some designs it can be a problem. I’ll explain how I got rid of it, but first I’d like to tell you why things are that way in the first place.