Recently I decided to start the inevitable move from (extremely useful) apps like Codekit and MAMP to Gulp. I’m not an expert yet, but I managed to find some good resources for setting things up as well as some solutions for common troubles. I’m posting this as a reference rather than a tutorial.
For those of you who don’t already know, I’m a big-time Star Trek fan. I’m especially interested in the original series, and some of my favorite content comes from an old role-playing game from a company called FASA in the 1980’s. The game had an extensive timeline of events, and I’ve always wanted an easier way to read through it. Since I grew up to be a web developer, the obvious choice is to build an app!
If you have more than one data source for your AngularJS app, then you’ll need them all completed before the thing runs. Although this is a common problem, solutions can be hard to find on the Unhelpful Interwebs. But don’t worry, I promise we can solve it.
I finished something. Holy crap, in this hectic chapter of my life where I’m working 7 days per week, I actually finished something. I made a website for my friend’s coffee cart business, Sassyass Coffee.
When I built the image galleries for this site, I had to get cozy with Flickr’s developer API. There are a few gotchas in there, so I thought it would be nice to save someone else a few minutes of headache and just post some answers. Today’s gotcha involves the way Flickr’s image suffixes work.
I’ve been playing around with Ye Olde Canvas again. This time I wanted to use several techniques in one animation, including the Page Visibility API, and combine those with some behaviors outside of the canvas itself. I also wanted to put an Easter egg into my site. Because Spider-Man.
Recently I spent a rather large amount of time working on a silly star map that no one is likely to ever look at until after I’m famous and long dead, when it will be uncovered by digital archaeologists and mistaken for primitive astronomy. I have a point, I swear. Just give me a moment to process my thoughts.
If you remember the Star Trek Role-playing Game from FASA, then you’ll remember how good the writing was. The game developers had everything figured out, right down to the coordinates for different planets and the actual speeds of the various warp factors. I’ve made a cute little utility to work out the time it takes to go from here to there at a given speed.
I’ve been wanting to make some little something with CreateJS for a while now, but I was always studying things that related to my day-job. Now that the contract is over and I’m looking for a new position, I had a little time to try a little coding exercise. I created a sub-class for the framework’s Shape() class, and I’ve played around with the animation a bit. The results are actually very promising. Have a look at the source code for some details on how it works.
At the time of this writing, there’s a bunch of floating code in the header of my website. It’s brand new and kind of light, meaning that I tossed it together during the weekend. But it’s still a nifty animation.